FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To complete the SEVIS transfer procedure:
Complete and deliver the SEVIS Transfer I-20 Request Form to a DSO at the institution that currently holds your SEVIS record. You need to select a release date to ensure that your I-20 is processed in advance of your upcoming program start date.
If you are currently approved for and working under Optional Practical Training (OPT), please set your SEVIS transfer date as the day after your OPT is completed. If your projected OPT end date is beyond your program start date then you will need to request that the record be released on the program start date. There will be no break in status relative to your OPT employment as it will commence as CPT on that date.
For F-1 transfer, your program at Harrisburg University must begin within 5 months of the end of your previous program.
If you still have an unexpired F-1 entry visa from your previous program, you may continue to use that visa for travel after you are transferred to Harrisburg University.
The I-20 will be available for pickup at orientation provided:
The SEVIS record is released to Harrisburg University by your current institution.
First semester tuition fees are paid in full and received by the Business Office.
Visit the Student Support Network and choose “International Student Inquiry” under report type.
Complete the form in its entirety, attach any pertaining documents, and submit.
Please do not upload the same document again. Uploading again will send your application to the end of the queue.
If you are a student holding a valid F-1 SEVIS record at another institution with a dependent or dependents who already hold an F-2 SEVIS record then their record will automatically transfer with the F-1 visa holders record when the transfer to Harrisburg University is initiated. The dependent I-20’s will be provided with the F-1 students I-20 at orientation.
If your dependent(s) does not have an existing F-2 record then the following items must be submitted to the International Student Office:
- Copy of both passport ID pages for each dependent
- Copy of your marriage certificate if you have a spouse dependent
- Copy of the birth certificate for any child dependents
- A financial affidavit stating that you or another person will be financially supporting your dependents through the duration of their stay in the U.S.
- A coordinating bank statement should be provided showing that you or another person have the necessary funds to support your dependent(s). Harrisburg University requires students to show $25,900 in financial support. A spouse dependent requires students to show an additional $5,000 in support and for each child dependent an additional $2,500 must be shown.
If your spouse and/or children are US citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., they are ineligible and do not require an I-20.
F-2 dependents will remain in legal immigration status provided the F-1 student maintains status throughout the entire program of study and any authorized period of Optional Practical Training (OPT) after program completion.
F-2 dependents may depart and re-enter the United States with proper documentation.
F-2 dependents may not work and are not eligible for Social Security numbers
F-2 dependents may apply for a change of status to F-1 if the adult dependent desires to study full time.