The Program Extension is to be utilized by F-1 students at HU who are unable to complete their course of study by the program end date on their form I-20.
This section guides your through the Eligibility, Application & Financial Documentation needed for the program extension.
- Submit your request to the International Student Office via the Student Support Network (and choose “International Student Inquiry” under report type) at least 30 days before the expiration date of the I-20
- If you fail to apply prior to the expiration date you will be considered out of status. Please contact a DSO for reinstatement options.
- The extension will extend your I-20, but will not extend your visa
- You may remain in the US with an expired visa as long as your I-20 is valid
- If you travel out of the US you may need a new US Entry visa to re-enter
In order to be eligible for a program extension a student must:
- Have continually maintained legal F-1 status
- Seek an extension for a delay caused by a compelling academic or medical need, such as: change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness
- Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions
- A student that does not apply for an extension until after the program end date noted on the Form I-20 is ineligible for a program extension and is considered out of status
How to Apply
- Visit the Student Support Network
- Select ‘I would like to request a program extension’ in the request menu.
- Upon verifying your eligibility, ISO will issue an I-20 with a new completion date.
- Processing time: 1-2 business days, but during the peak / high-volume period, this may take longer
- Any F-2 dependents will also be issued updated forms