The Program Extension is to be utilized by F-1 students at HU who are unable to complete their course of study by the program end date on their form I-20.
This section guides your through the Eligibility, Application & Financial Documentation needed for the program extension.
- Submit your request to the International Student Office HERE
- If you fail to apply prior to the expiration date you will be considered out of status. Please contact a DSO for reinstatement options.
- The extension will extend your I-20, but will not extend your visa
- You may remain in the US with an expired visa as long as your I-20 is valid
- If you travel out of the US you may need a new US Entry visa to re-enter
In order to be eligible for a program extension a student must:
- Have continually maintained legal F-1 status
- Seek an extension for a delay caused by a compelling academic or medical need, such as: change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness
- Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions
- A student that does not apply for an extension until after the program end date noted on the Form I-20 is ineligible for a program extension and is considered out of status
How to Apply
- Submit a Program Extension Request HERE
- Read all instructions and complete the questionnaire
- Upon verifying your eligibility, ISO will issue an I-20 with a new completion date.
- Processing time: 1-2 business days, but during the peak / high-volume period, this may take longer
- Any F-2 dependents will also be issued updated forms