|HU Post-Completion OPT Application Instructions|
|USCIS Form I-765|
|USCIS Form I-765 Instructions|
|USCIS Form G-1145|
|I-983 OPT Form|
|OPT STEM Validation Report|
F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) Overview
OPT is intended to provide hands-on practical work experience in the U.S., complementary to the academic program. Please note:
- Certain science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) degree holders may be eligible for an additional 24 month extension of OPT employment. For more information review the F-1 Optional Practical Training STEM Extension.
- Duration of status and work authorization may also be extended with an OPT H-1B Cap-Gap Extension.
The OPT application must be received by the USCIS within 30 days of the date on which the International Student Office (ISO) issues the OPT I-20. If filed with USCIS after 30 days of the OPT I-20 issuance date, your application will be denied.
To begin the OPT process, follow the instructions below:
- Read the HU Post-Completion OPT Application Instructions (I-765 category (c )(3)(B).
- Submit your OPT I-20 request in the Student Support Network and choose “International Student Inquiry” under report type.
- Select ‘I would like to request OPT’.
- Indicate desired OPT start date in the additional details.
- Within 30 daysof receiving your I-20, submit your Application to USCIS
- Follow the Reporting Requirements
- have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year;
- currently be maintaining a full-time program of study and valid F-1 status; and
- work in a job directly related to your major field of study.
- You do not need a job offer prior to applying for OPT.
- During post-completion OPT there is a 90-day limitation on unemployment; therefore, F-1 Status dependent upon employment.
- If you are uncertain whether you meet the eligibility requirements, please contact ISO.
- If you decide NOT to mail your OPT application (Form I-765 plus supporting documentation) to USCIS for any reason, you must notify a P/DSO immediately so that we can timely cancel your OPT recommendation in SEVIS. Failure to inform us can cause problems in the future.
- If you receive a Request for Evidence (RFE), please submit it to ISO in the Student Support Network
- Select ‘International Student Inquiry’ followed by ‘I would like to submit an RFE (I-539 or I-765)’
- Pre-Completion OPT
- part-time or full-time during the student’s annual vacation and at other times when school is not in session, if the student intends to register for the following semester
- part-time while school is in session
- part-time or full-time after completion of graduate course work requirements excluding a thesis or dissertation
- Every 2 months of part-time Pre-Completion OPT and every 1 month of full time Pre-Completion OPT eliminates 1 month of eligibility for Post-Completion OPT
- Post-Completion OPT
- full-time after completion of the course of study
Students on OPT are required to report any of the following changes, within 10 days, to ISO:
- Interruption of employment
- Report any change Student Support Network and choose “International Student Inquiry” under report type.
- If you need to report a change in employer please Select ‘I would like to request OPT’.
- Indicate end date of previous OPT employment in addition to the new employer details.
SEVP Policy Guidance
- Please read the SEVP: OPT Policy Guidance provided by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)