CHANGE OF STATUS
A student who currently holds a valid non-immigrant status in the United States, will not travel internationally before the start date of their F-1 program, and intends to apply for a Change of Status with USCIS to gain F-1 status, the following steps must be followed:
- Apply for Acceptance to Harrisburg University as an F-1 Student
- An Acceptance Letter will be sent if you meet the Admission requirements
- Payment of a Tuition Deposit must then be made
- A change of status I-20 will then be sent to you
- Payment of the SEVIS Fee of $200 is required
- Mail completed I-539 package and Harrisburg University issued I-20 to USCIS
- Payment of remaining Tuition Fees must be completed prior to the program start
- Check-In and Orientation on your Start Date
Please note that F2 and B1/B2 visa holders are not permitted to enroll and attended courses until an F1 Approval Notice has been received by the student from USCIS.
Important Note: On April 6, 2017, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) posted guidance reaffirming that nonimmigrants seeking to change their status to F-1, M-1, or J-1 must maintain their nonimmigrant status (current visa) up to 30 days before their program start date by filing additional Form(s) I-539 to extend their current nonimmigrant status while their change of status request is pending. Failure to do so may result in denial of your application for F-1 status.
Applications for change from B-1 or B-2 to F-1 made by persons who have either already applied to U.S. schools from abroad or who apply for a change of status shortly after entry into the U.S. are routinely denied. Due to the likelihood for denial and a change in USCIS processing requirements, Harrisburg University does not offer the option to apply for a change of status from B-1/B-2 to F-1 with USCIS. All B-1/B-2 visa holders will need to take a new Initial I-20 from Harrisburg University out of the U.S. for an F-1 visa appointment at a U.S. Embassy. Please follow the instructions on the F-1 New Student Applicant page.
A student already in the U.S. attending another institution as an F-1 student is required to request a transfer of the SEVIS record to Harrisburg University. If this best describes you then please see the F-1 Transfer Student page for more information.