WRITING TUTORS ONLINE
Online writing support is available to all HU students at no additional cost. Log into your Smarthinking account whenever you need help! Open 24/7.
- 1. Go to the Moodle page for your course.
- 2. Click on “Access SmarThinking” which appears on the right side of the page under Lynda.com.
- 3. Follow the next page’s “Instructions on Navigating SmarThinking.”
- 4. Disable pop-up blockers.
To use the audio or video features, you must book at least 24 hours in advanced in 30-minute increments. Select ‘Access Smarthinking’ in Moodle and follow prompts.
You may also contact Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESL tutoring support is available through Smarthinking. When a student clicks into the “submit my writing” area of Smarthinking and fills out an essay submission form, near the bottom of the form, the student can select what type of tutor they would like with these options: “first available, ESL, Business/technical writing, creative writing.”
WRITING TUTORS AT HU
In the Writing Lab at HU, faculty-approved tutors provide feedback on writing assignments. Writing tutors can assist students at any stage of the writing process. To see the Writing Lab open hours, select the ‘Book Now’ button on the MyHU homepage and log in. The Writing Lab is open 15 hours a week for walk-in help during the spring and fall semesters.
What Tutors CAN Do:
- Help you learn to be a better reader and writer
- Provide feedback on the organization of your paper
- Help you become a better communicator
- Help you brainstorm ideas for your paper
- Help you outline your thoughts
What Tutors CANNOT Do:
- Guarantee a good grade on a paper
- Write your paper
- Fix all grammar errors
- Read your assigned readings
- Address all aspects of your paper in one session
- Make sure your facts are correct